The Challenge: Sudden Cardia Arrest (SCA)
Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is a condition in which the heart suddenly and unexpectedly stops beating and a electric shock is needed to restart the heart. If not, death will occur within minutes of someone having SCA. It is our nation’s leading cause of death affecting in excess of 400,000 Americans every year and more than 92% will not survive.
Causes of SCA
SCA can happen to anyone, anywhere at anytime. It often occurs in active, healthy people with no known heart or health problems. From world-class athletes to school aged children, SCA does not discriminate.
Sudden Cardiac Arrest Conditions
- Abnormal Heart Beats or Arrhythmias
- Heart Attacks
- Myocarditis – Inflammation or Thickening of the Heart Muscle
- High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Obesity, Smoking and High Cholesterol
- Non-Cardiac Conditions: Drug/Alcohol Overdose, Choking, Drowning, Trauma, Hypothermia or Direct Hit to the Chest And much much more.
- COVID-19 related myocardial injury
Identifying Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Someone experiencing a Sudden Cardiac Arrest will:
- Suddenly collapse
- Not be breathing
- Possibly gasp for air
How to Help Someone with Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Prevention: (or Preventing Death)
A person’s chance of survival decreases by 10% with every minute that passes without CPR or defibrillation. The most important determinant of survival is the presence of a trained rescuer willing to immediately call 911, perform CPR and use an Defibrillator (DEFIB) in the first minutes of a collapse. When you see someone suddenly collapse or not breathing, immediately:
CALL. PUSH. SHOCK.™
- CALL: Dispatch medical assistance by calling 9-1-1
- PUSH: Perform hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- SHOCK: Locate and use an automated external defibrillator.
Take one of Our Life Saving Classes
Starting Hearts offers many live saving classes. We provide training for CPR certification and recertifications, how to properly use a Defibrillator and our 45-minute CALL.PUSH.SHOCK.™ Certification program. Our classes are open to both adults and children and we provide classes to local businesses, organization and schools as well. Check out our class calendar to register for a class.